Monday, October 20, 2014

Garner Blue

I am so excited to share with you about this next vendor! Lisa Garner, creative mind behind Garner Blue, is seriously one of the coolest people I know. I remember knowing of Lisa before I actually met her and I knew I wanted to be friends with her. She is so sincere, so thoughtful, and so creative. Anytime I chat with Lisa, I always leave the conversation feeling refreshed.

One of the things Lisa is passionate about is helping others find their creative niche. This is one of the things I absolutely love about her. Last year, I ran into her in the aisles of Goodwill and we stopped and chatted about this idea I had for the A New Thing marketplace. She may not even realize this, but that single conversation was just the encouragement I needed to take the next steps to make this dream a reality.


I sent a little questionnaire out to Lisa and I'm just going to post here what her responses were to those questions. Sort of like an interview! I feel these answers gives such a glimpse into her heart. So grab a cup of coffee or tea and read about this sweet friend who has a love of creative processes and people....

Can you tell me the story behind your business?

 "Well, ask any of my friends and they will tell you I’ve been making/sewing/creating so many things for awhile-- but I normally would try out a new skill and then get bored. Or like in the case of felt food-- go overboard and make an entire grocery bag’s worth of items and get burned out and be done with it. But, in the Summer of 2013 I found myself preparing for a CAMP weekend getaway, a collaborative effort with kindred Keely Beasley. Curating Artisans Method and Provisions (CAMP)—one element of the weekend is a series of Method Workshops and I was preparing to teach the basics of dying with indigo. The more I dyed in preparation for the weekend, the more fascinated I became with the simple beauty in the process of binding, dipping, dipping again (and again) and then the reveal of the final pattern. So, right before last Christmas season I thought it would be fun to dye a few scarves and offer them for people to purchase as Christmas gifts. But, I had to start right and that meant thinking through logo and all branding/packaging details. I loved that part! I also had to think about where I was sourcing my materials from, business basics and several other logistical things. After that first batch I just wanted to keep going with indigo. I think part of what keeps it interesting is that each dye vat and each pattern created is in some way a bit of a surprise. Also, at this point I’ve expanded to cloth napkins, wall hangings, a stuffed animal, pillows and even jewelry but the constant is the indigo."



Does your business support any initiatives/use any percentage of profits for anything? If so, please explain.

 "Honestly, the business primarily supports my desire to create, but throughout this process I’ve learned that one of the things I care a ton about is encouraging that same desire in others. So, I’ve connected with IOI and am working directly with a couple in Ethiopia that weave one type of my woven cotton scarves. I love knowing that when I buy these natural cotton scarves to dye here in Jackson, the money is going directly to them and that it helps to support their craft and their livelihood in Ethiopia."

 
 
Why are you passionate about your products/business?
 
"I’m passionate about it because it allows me to create-- everything from my logo and all branding to creating the pattern for my BlueBelly animals to textile design with the actual indigo dying. It’s all interesting to me-- it keeps me on my toes learning and making."
 



 What inspires you?

" I’m inspired when I see people around me thinking about making something and actually doing it. Practically, i’m inspired by patterns and textures in nature, and vintage textiles."

Tell me a bit about yourself (give me a bit of insight into your everyday life and your creative process):

"I have a full time job that I started back in the Spring at theCO (check into it if you haven’t already!) and I’m loving working to help stir a creative/tech/entrepreneurial culture here in West TN. So--lately a lot of brainpower has been spent on that. Most weekends are Garner Blue times-- split between dying, sewing, packaging and more. Everything is done out of our little brick house-- my husband Joe is amazingly supportive and offers a bunch of creative insight (he’s the one that thought of using old cassette tapes as a resist to create a unique pattern). And our little pup Lou often curls up at my feet while I sew away."



Will you be offering any specials or incentives during the marketplace?

"I’ll be debuting my Garner Blue earrings -- using dye fabrics and woods I’m actually still working through some of the designs, but I’m excited :)"

So listen. Believe me when I tell you that you do not want to miss meeting Lisa and seeing her amazing products! Make sure to check out her booth!

The Marketplace is only FOUR days away!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment